Monday, November 21, 2011

Istanbul: Day 2

The following morning I was awakened with chants of the Quran from a mosque up the street. Every day I was in Istanbul I was awakened in the morning by Quran chants summoning followers to early morning prayers. It is quite a distinguishing factor Istanbul brings to the table. Throughout the day each mosques Imam uses the sound speakers within each minaret (towers surrounding mosque) to summon Muslims five times a day to pray. As an outsider I have not experienced such a difference in culture and I feel quite blessed to have experienced it. There hasn’t been a place in the world I’ve been to so far that has this occur which makes it quite a scene to experience. Although, I did not like it waking me up at 6am in the morning each day though!

We began Saturday going to the underground Basillica Cicern. This is an underground water storage facility that was built in 500’s by Emperor Justinian. It was a massive room with large Roman columns holding the ceiling up. They had lights on the columns lighting up the water creating a mirroring effect on the water. It was quite the experience! I have never seen anything like this before. You will be captivated by the pictures below.




 Once we finished with the Cicern we walked over the Galeta bridge to the European district of Istanbul. This district can also be considered Old Town Istanbul but has its own European element. This is because throughout history Italians, Spaniards, and European merchants have always occupied the district.  The architecture of the Galeta district reminds me of being in Eastern Europe. The major site in Galeta is the Galeta tower. This tower was built in 526 AD and remained one of the tallest towers in the world until 17th century. We ascended the tower and at the top got an amazing view of much of the city. Like I said in my earlier blog, the magnitude of Istanbul’s size needs to be described. It has a total population of 13 million. 8.8 million people live within its metro area making it extremely crowded, however, urban sprawl extends the city for miles and miles. From what we saw at the top of the tower we saw multiple large sky lines of skyscrapers in each direction alongside the compacted smaller buildings. Here are the pictures I took of the tower and the skyline around the tower:





Once we finished seeing Galeta tower we walked through the European district and eventually found ourselves on the coast. We decided to go to a restaurant where we enjoyed our first Turkish omelet. This omelet was very unlike because of the cheese and meat used. The cheese reminded me of Gouda while the ham used was very fresh and tasty. This combination of cheese, ham, and eggs created an awesome omelet. It tasted amazing but quite different than omelets I eat back home. I can’t really explain why this the case but it does! It definitely is an dish I could recommend getting if you come to Turkey.

Our next destination was Dolmabahce Palace. This palace was built in the 18th century by the ruling Sultan. During this time the Ottoman Empire was modernizing and westernizing. The palace reminded me of a typical European palace but seemed to be much bigger. Compared to the palaces I’ve seen in Vienna, this palace is the size of both of them combined.  The architecture style of the palace embodied Baroque,  Rococco, Neoclassical, and traditional Ottoman styles. It was a unique blend of the west and east when analyzing the architecture, furniture, and paintings inside the palace. We were able to go on two walking tours of the palace. One tour was through the living quarters of the Sultan and his family and the other tour had to do with the state/ceremonial section of the palace. We were not able to take pictures inside the palace so I cannot show you the inside. However, from what I saw within the state section of the palace it beats much of what I’ve seen in Europe. I will hopefully find a link for you to see what I am talking about! It took about 2 hours to see much of the palace. We saw around half of the rooms the palace had to offer. It was a cool experience to see such a grand palace. I never would have expected to see such a grand Europeanized palace located in Istanbul.





After finishing the tour of the palace we walked back up near the Galeta tower since we saw earlier in the day a few restaurants that may look good for dinner. We settled on one a few blocks away from the tower and were treated to a superb meal! I ordered lamb chops for dinner. When I first tasted them I knew they had to be some of the best I’ve had in my life. They were super tender literally falling off the bone. Alongside the lamb chops I had some of the best coos coos  I’ve ever tasted. Overall dinner was great! However, right after dinner we spotted a street food stand that smelled so good I had to try it. I ordered cut up seasoned intestine with spices all on a toasted bun with peppers. It melted in my mouth and had to be put there with the best food I’ve had so far in Europe.  I cannot explain how good this sequence of meals was. During a trip to Istanbul, if you’re a willing eater, you will never eat something that doesn’t taste good here!

On our last day in Istanbul we decided to head over to the Asian side of the city. Istanbul lies on the European plate and Asian plate. Therefore, I was able to step foot in Asia yesterday for the first time! We took a ferry over in the morning and saw a bunch of jellyfish in the water along the way. We were amazed at how many we saw.  Once we got over the Asian side we took yet another boat to a lighthouse on an island very close to the Asian side. The lighthouse dates back to ancient times and was still in use up until the 19th century. It now has turned into two restaurants as well as a coffee shop. We just walked up the top and got some good views of the harbor before coming back done. Even though it wasn’t the best weather we enjoyed the views of the harbor and the bosopherus (the natural canal linking the Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea).




 Once we finished our lighthouse tour we went to a few street food vendors for lunch. I had a Donor Kebab sandwich. I have had some of these in Vienna but the one I had here destroys the one’s I’ve had in Vienna. Also, I bought a French fry sandwich which also tasted good as well. When we were eating our food we took a walk up the Asian side until we got very close the bridge that links the European and Asian side of the city together. We walked through several suburbs and towns lining the coast. It did not feel like I was in the same city on the Asian side. One of the nestled towns reminded me of Santa Barbara for some reason. It gave me a flashback of the experience I had in Santa Barbara a few years ago. After we looked around a bit we walked back to the ferry and rode back to our side of the city.

After we got off the ferry we decided to do some shopping before it was too late. I bought several of my family member’s gifts at the spice market. I will not clarify what I bought here but I bought some pretty cool things. Hopefully they will like them. Once we finished shopping we went to dinner for our last main meal here in Istanbul. We went to a place where they served us a traditional Kurkish meal. This meal involved eggplant, onions, cheese, and peppers surrounding beef. It was accompanied by rice and roasted potatoes.  It tasted amazing, I loved it! I’m glad I had this as one of my last meals here in Turkey.

I am really glad I went to Istanbul. I loved the city and enjoyed my time here. The food was amazing and the cultural experience is second to none. I think everyone who has a chance to come here should come! You will not be let down on the experience you have here. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity to come here and experience this place. I hope you enjoyed reading about my travels to Istanbul. Hopefully my narration and pictures give you a great insight of what this place is like!

Side story: I had some problems getting out of Istanbul. The stupid hostel/pick shuttle company really screwed John and I. We got picked up late from our hostel by the shuttle company resulting in us missing our flight and having to spend 9 hours in the airport before being able to catch the next flight out Vienna. Also, we had to pay a large fare for our flight. Really frustrating and we were both outraged! However, I am not going to let this experience ruin my past four days here in Istanbul. It’s just sad we were guaranteed by the hostel and shuttle company we would make it to the airport in well before our flight left to check in. If we weren’t given this guarantee we would have gotten a cab much earlier. Oh well, shit happens I guess :/

No comments:

Post a Comment